Friday, September 10, 2010

Moonblush Tomatoes


Moonblush Tomatoes
© All rights reserved, Thorsten Kraska, 2010


I found the recipe for moonblush tomatoes on Sylvie's Blog 'A Pot of Tea and a Biscuit'. I was hooked by this easy recipe and by adding the flavors of olive oil and thyme. The first time I have made it as described by Sylvie. The 2nd time I couldn't resist and did it my way and it did work too (at least for me).

Oven-Dried Tomatoes
(Moonblush Tomatoes lazy man's style)

Preheat ovent o 220°C. Take as much cherry or/and date tomatoes as you like and half them. Put them cut side up into an oven proofed dish. Brush them with olive oil, sprinkle them with a bit of salt, then with sugar to your taste. Rip off the little leaves from thyme sprigs and sprinkle them over the tomatoes to. Put tomatoes into the oven and keep temperature for 5 minutes at 220°C. Then reduce heat to 70°C and let the tomatoes in the oven as long as they are as dry as you want them.

This is a recipe with no amounts and times given. I do amounts and timing here as I like it in that moment.


About the Photo
A very easy setting using a high angle. The color setting is based on primary colors of red, blue and a bit of green. Again I'm using a warm (red food) vs. cold (blue background) color contrast. The blue is not just the cooler color here. It also stands for freshness and sea (referring to a mediterranean setting). The red tomatoes in a soft backlight are of a warm red. For the styling I added the fork with a single selected toamto on it. The fork acts here like a kind of framing to get the attention to that tomato. I used this styling idea here to the attention of the viewer focussed more. Otherwise an anchor point would be missing here for me. The addition of the thyme sprigs and the olive oil bottle are just to make reference to the recipe.

4 comments:

Simones Kitchen said...

It looks gorgeous Thorsten! I have been mostly absent lately, so I've got lots of reading and looking to catch up on but this is just perfect. Love the photo. It's just right in every way for me!

Vania Georgieva said...

Thank you for the recipe, now I have my own moonblush tomatoesq they are so delicios

bake in paris said...

Beautiful picture!

And thanks so much for judging in DMBLGIT and appreciating my photo.

Sawadee from bangkok,
Kris

mbevbe said...

Hello, I was just writing up this recipe for my foodblog and looking for a pic. Can I use your photo if I attribute it please - it's gorgeous!