Monday, July 13, 2009

Blueberry Jam

Summer Time is jam making time. For a few years I make my own jams now. One of my favorite is blueberry jam flavored with fresh grated ginger and fresh sage leaves. The ginger adds a nice fresh taste to the jam while the sage leaves are emphasizing the herbal notes of the blueberry well.



Blueberry Jam
© All rights reserved, Thorsten Kraska, 2009



Ingredients:
1000 g blueberries
1000 g 1:1 Gelling Sugar
30 medium sized sage leaves
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
4 tablespoons lime juice

Note on Gelling Sugar: I'm using a commercial gelling sugar which contains the neccessary acidifier, pectin, gelling ingredients. It is foolproof. And I'm just too lazy to do this completely from scratch.

You can half the ingredients if you like and actually I often made this with just 500 g blueberries, because they can be expensive.



Directions:

  1. In a large pot mix blueberries and Gelling Sugar. Add lime juice and the freshly grated ginger. Prick the berries with a fork, but don't mash them. Let stand this mixture for 1 hour, mixing from time to time and pricking more berries if needed. The sugar will not dissolved completely during that time.
  2. Meanwhile sterilze your jars. I fill them onece or twice with boiling water and pour out the boiling water immediately before I fill in the jam. This would 1500 mL of jam. So have enough jars at hand and prepared.
  3. Add the fresh sage leaves to the blueberries and bring to a boil stirring all the time. Let cook for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Then remove from heat and remove sage leaves.
  4. Fill into prepared twist off preserving jars and close jars. Let stand for 1 minute and then turn up side down. Let stand for 10 minutes and turn over again. Let cool completely.


present and past
Because blueberry jam is one of my favorite jams, you won't be surprised that I have already photographed the jam in the past. The photo at the beginning was done very recently. I browsed through my older shots and this one was done in 2007.


Blueberry Jam (1/3)
© All rights reserved, Thorsten Kraska, 2009

6 comments:

dessert girl said...

Hey, Thorsten, I came across your pictures on We Heart It and Flickr. Gorgeous photography!

Patricia Scarpin said...

I've always wanted to make my own jams, but I'm afraid I would not sterilize the jars properly. Both shots are beautiful, Thorsten.

Thorsten said...

Partricia, to "sterilize" the jars is not that difficult. The "little" things (e.g. lids) I put into a pot with water, bring it to a boil and let them in there until I need them. The jars are cleaned first, then I fill them twice with boiling water and pour the water off immediately before use. If you fill in the jam very hot and turn the jars as described, you should have no problem. I'm making now jams for several years and there was only one jar with jam that went into the bin.

Sam said...

Thorsten,

Greetings. I'm watching the jars cool now, having just finished making your recipe for lime blueberry sage jam. I can't wait. Checked out your pics too, and they are beautiful. I live in New York but travel to Germany often, so it's nice to come across someone from Bonn here.

Cheers.

Sam

Thorsten said...

Welcome Sam and thanks for the compliment. Enjoy the jam.

Free Credit Score said...

I like how you arrange your presentation for the photo-taking! Bravo!